The Swindon Housing Action Campaign (SHAC) sees local political and campaign groups unite in response to the worsening housing crisis in Swindon.
- Campaign against government attacks on ‘social housing’ such as the extension of ‘right to buy’ to housing associations and the forced sale of ‘high value’ Council homes to compensate housing associations.
- Defend existing Council housing and campaign for a new Council house building programme to address unmet housing need.
- Campaign against exploitative private sector landlords and poor living conditions, for regulation of the sector, more secure tenure and cheaper rents.
- Campaign for ‘development’ which provides homes for need rather than speculative building and profiteering by ‘developers’ and builders.
The organisations supporting the campaign are:
- Swindon Tenants Campaign Group
- Swindon Peoples Assembly
- Swindon Council Labour Group
- Swindon Green Party
- Swindon GMB trade union
- Swindon UNITE trade union
- Swindon Trades Union Council